Saturday, May 8, 2010

Shining the Spotlight On.........JED

I've decided that this will be a feature of mine, although I'm not sure how often I'll do it. I guess as often as I feel like since it is my blog. Anyway - this "Shining the Spotlight On...." series will focus on someone I know (or don't know) and how they affect (or is it effect?) or influence my life. If you don't want to be included in this series, then you better let me know now or its a free for all.

Jed, otherwise know as John Eric Demajistre, was born a poor black child. Only kidding. Actually, I think he was born in Pittsburgh. If not, he at least lived in that general area for much of his youth before moving to the area around the 1983 or 84. This is where I first saw him. Not met him - that was in 1987, but my first memory of Jed was walking across the courtyard at Unionville High School during the 10:10am smoke break (yes - we were given a time and place to smoke back in those days) walking arm and arm with his chick. I say chick because in order to appreciate the visual you need to think back to the time period, when big hair was in and couples walked with their arms looped together behind each others backs in a way that appeared that they were so into each other that they may possibly suffocate one another. But anyway, I saw Jed through the window (this was before I had the balls to smoke publicly in school) as he walked out to smoke with his chick and I remember thinking, "That dude's a total head."

Now when I was thinking "head", it was in reference to a general cliche that pigeonholed Jed into a social construct that made him a) love the Grateful Dead b)consume large amounts of pot on a daily basis often in the morning taking part in the "wake and bake" c) wear tiedyes and d) have hair past the shoulder, often in mullet form.

Personally, I loved "heads". I liked to move freely amongst the various social groups, not really belonging to any of them. So even while I was watching Jed, I was admiring his dedication to his identity (he may disagree but I'm writing the blog, not him).

Jed was (or is) about 3 years older than me, so the only real memory in high school of him is this, then I don't know where the hell he went. Maybe he was skipping school. Maybe he was suffocating his chick. But it wasn't until 1987 that I actually met him while working at the Kennett Square Inn. I was 15, nearly 16 and very naive. He was 19. There was no love affair. I was way too into the 24 year old waiter to be into Jed. And quite honestly, he was too honorable (and probably not even interested) to take an advantage of me. But in the midst of my young tortured love quest, I found a friend in Jed. He quietly shook his head in the background while I got my heart broken. But the interesting thing about love is that so often, it comes and goes, and what you are left with is your friends. And so I was left with Jed.

Jed weathered many of my failed love affairs. When I ran off to State College to be close to the man who would later become my ex-husband, it was Jed who looked across the kitchen line at me and said, "You are making a mistake. You better not marry him." And I did. And when it was over, I still had Jed.

Over the years, Jed and I fell out of touch. But whenever we saw each other it really was as if we had never been apart. Part of this is due to who Jed is. He's no nonsense, practical and drama free. Several years ago, Jed moved to Bethany Beach and we had no contact until last year when we reconnected through good old Facebook. It is honestly one of my all time favorite FB reconnects because as I stated before while I have over 300 FB friends, I am unclear as to how many of them are actual friends.

Last May I decided to go visit Jed down in Bethany. I was suffering from some general life burnout and wanted a short reprieve. I called Jed when I got down there and he told me to meet him at the restaurant where he works. I have never been so amused as to walk into the restaurant, turn the corner and see Jed walk out of the kitchen with the same old disgusted looking face I had seen so many times and hear him say "Hey Bert, where are you parked? Let's get out of here." After about 6 years, that was my greeting. And quite honestly, I wouldn't have expected anymore. It really felt like I had just seen him 10 minutes before and I loved it. 

So while I was never in love with Jed, I have always loved him. And if any of you ladies are interested let me know and I'll get you connected. But please keep in mind, we are a package deal.



3 comments:

Brittle said...

The final two sentences here are really good. Not to say that the rest pales... but I like this.

Unknown said...

Great post, Carol. Friends like Jed are the best and this is a wonderful tribute.

Carol said...

My mother reminded me last night that I named my dog after Jed back in the day. Loyal like a Jeddog!